Can the pocket sized NOOK Tablet 7" keep up when under pressure?
It's time to take another look at this new 2018 Barnes and Noble NOOK Tablet 7”. Last time, we unboxed it, had a look around, and peeked at the spes. Now it’s time to test it out. That’s right, it’s benchmark time!
Here's a quick reminder of the NOOK Tablet 7’s specs.
SoC: MediaTek MT8163
CPU: Quad Core ARM Cortex-A53 @ 1.3GHz
GPU: Mali-T720 MP2
RAM: 1GB DDR3
Storage: 16GB (12.2GB available)
Screen: 7" 1024x600 IPS LCD
AnTuTu
Normally I’d start with Antutu here, but unfortunately I could not get the benchmark to finish on this little NOOK Tablet. I’m not sure if it’s because of the low RAM, or some software issue, but it wouldn’t finish. I have a feeling though, based on the other benchmarks you’re about to see, it’d be around the 40000 mark like the NOOK Tablet 10.1”.
GeekBench 4
Next up is the geekbench 4 cross platform benchmark. Since I’ve already run this benchmark on a few other devices, I simply had to run in on this NOOK Tablet 7” and add the results to my graph.
The NOOK Tablet 7 performed about where I thought it would initially, with a score of 549 single core and 1538 multi core. This score puts it slightly ahead of the NOOK Tablet 10.1 at 489 single core and 1185 multi core. This can be attributed to the stronger core performance of the NOOK Tablet 7’s Cortex A53s compared to the NOOK Tablet 10.1’s Cortex A35s. This is still a low score, however, so don’t expect fantastic performance based on this. I feel like the lower amount of RAM will end up hurting the smaller NOOK in the long run.
Octane V2
Last up is the browser based Octane V2 benchmark by Google. Since I also previously ran this benchmark on my other devices, I simply added the new results to the list. This score actually confuses me a little, at 2191. This is quite a bit lower than the NOOK Tablet 10.1”, and based on the GeekBench score, this was unexpected. Looking at the individual scores reveals what I believe makes sense. The pure single threaded performance scores tend to be on par with the NOOK Tablet 10.1 or even a bit higher, whereas the RAM dependent scores are lower. We’ll see how this score translates into real world use.
That’s all for this round of benchmarks on the Barnes and Noble NOOK Tablet 7”. Check out the attached video below to see these benchmarks in action! Next up I’ll be trying some gaming on this smaller NOOK tablet. Thanks for reading!
Comments
Post a Comment